The Q&A Archives: Apple Trees in Texas

Question: I would like to grow a green apple tree in Dallas Texas what is the correct name for this tree, does it come in a dwarf size and how much of an area does it need to grow in? How long does it take to start producing apples? Any tips on planting?

Answer: Alicia,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The best green apple for Dallas is the Granny Smith. The trees are grafted on to rootstocks that vary in their degree of dwarfing. Check with the garden center where you buy the plant for its expected size. As a very general guide most such trees should be able to be kept at about 10-12 feet in size. They should begin fruiting in 3-5 years. See the following web site for planting info and additional tips: