The Q&A Archives: Rosemary

Question: I have a Rosemary plant planted outside and would like to use it in cooking. Do I just pinch off some of the leaves and use them or do I have to do something to them before putting them into my recipes? Thanks

Answer: The only thing you need to do is rinse the rosemary off before using it. I generally go out and snip several stems at once; the stems can be 5-6" long. If you choose individual stems rather than grabbing a handful at the top of the plant, the rosemary plant will retain its normal, natural growth habit. If you simply shear off the topmost stems, your plant will look like it got a bad haircut!

You can use the freshly harvested rosemary as is, or strip the leaves off the harvested rosemary stems and allow them to dry on paper towels, then put them into a clean jar and keep them in your cupboard.

Best wishes with your rosemary!