The Q&A Archives: Dying Shrubs

Question: I have one shrub that is dying...most of the leaves are brown and the one next to it is beginning to do the same. The leaf has black spots on them. What can I do?

Answer: Miriam,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I am not able to know specifically what is wrong with your shrubs based on that description but the progression points somewhat toward the cause being a root rot. I suggest you take some photos and perhaps a dying plant sample to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the problem and if necessary prescribe an appropriate remedy.