The Q&A Archives: Kill a tree

Question: I have a small but fast-growing tree between the foundation of my house and the slab where my airconditioning units sit. The tree is wrapping around the hoses, etc. I try to keep it trimmed down but I need to kill it. Someone mentioned a product from The Home Depot that I could paint on the tree. Is there something like this available?

Thanks so much!

Answer: You should be able to kill the tree and its roots by using a vegetation killer called Round-Up. The process is simple and you don't need very much (perhaps a neighbor already has some?). All you need to do is cut the main stem or trunk of the tree and then paint full strength Round-Up on the cut stump. The chemical will travel down to the roots and should kill the roots within a few days.

Best wishes with your garden!