The Q&A Archives: Pruning Scotch Broom

Question: I have a scotch broom that stands well over 8 feet tall. I had never pruned it, now it is more like a tree. I have cut back some of the smaller branches in hopes that it would bring new shoots down lower. There are no new shoots and it is now so top heavy that it has to be supported. I am so scared to chop it low for fear that it will never come back, and I will be left with sticks. Please advise

Answer: The time to prune this plant is right after it blooms. Do not cut it back to old wood. Selectively reach into the plant and cut back some of the longest branches. Doing this every year will keep the size under control and help limit the tendency to splay open. If yours is beginning to lean, you may have to stake it. Good luck with your broom!