The Q&A Archives: cement

Question: I have a pool and a lot of cement covered areas in my small back yard. Is there a way I can remove some of the cement without hiring someone with heavy equipment? I want to plant a raised garden. Can you plant a raised garden over cement and if so how do you provide for drainage?

Answer: Removing cement isn't an easy job; a jackhammer is normally used. I think I would leave the cement there and build a raised bed over it. That way, if you change your mind at a later date, you can remove the raised bed without harming the concrete. You can set a wooden form on the cement for your raised bed, and provide drainage by laying several perforated pipes on the cement, protruding from under the wooden sides of your bed and covering them with your soil. The perforated pipes will collect the excess water and channel it out of the raised bed.

Best wishes with your new project!