The Q&A Archives: Wiregrass

Question: How do you get rid of wiregrass or silver crabgrass or goose grass or johonson grass as I have heard it called it comes back every year I think what I have is a perennial its in my garden / flowerbed.

Answer: Johnson grass is a perennial weed. It is the most difficult weed to control because it has perennial roots and needs to be spot treated with a vegetation killer such as Round-Up. Round-Up will kill anything it touches, so be careful when using it. Simply target each weed and spray it with Round-Up. You can protect the other plants in the bed by setting a cardboard box over it when you spray the weeds. Round-Up will travel down to the roots of the weed but it won't translocate in the soil so your other plants should be safe.