The Q&A Archives: Majesty Palm

Question: I recently purchased a palm labeled "majesty". There were no care instructions on it. Please tell me about watering, humidity, soil, repotting.

Answer: It's too bad your palm wasn't properly labeled - 'majesty' might be descriptive, but not very helpful in discovering the true botanical name of your new plant. Generally speaking, all palms will respond to the following care:<br>Average warmth, minimum 50F degrees in the winter. Winter nighttime temperatures should not exceed 60F. Palms should be kept out of direct sunshine; most thrive in low light conditions. Palms need fast draining soil and like slightly moist conditions in the winter; water liberally in the spring and summer. Mist the leaves in the winter if the humidity in the house is low. Avoid drafts. Repot only when the plant is thoroughly pot-bound; palms don't like to be disturbed. When you do repot, compact the soil around the rootball. Enjoy your majestic new palm!