The Q&A Archives: waveleaf petunias and astilbies

Question: Hello! I have a waveleaf petunia. When I have spent flowers, do I just take them off or am I supposed to go down the stem and pinch
them off just above an

Answer: Wave petunias do not need to be deadheaded the way regular petunias do. The faded flowers will drop from the plant on their own and the plant will continue to branch and set new flowers throughout the season. They are practically maintenance free.

A pH of 6.8 is slightly acidic (7.0 is neutral; anything below that is considered acidic). Feeding with Muracid would be fine. As the roots of your astilbes grow, they will support larger flower plumes. Just be sure to keep the soil moist during the growing season. I think by next year your plants should produce larger plumes.

Best wishes with your garden!