The Q&A Archives: Spots on lawn

Question: I have spots in my lawn that turn dark in the heat, green a bit with water but the next day it's yellow and crispy. If I miss one watering dat it gets almost silver/gray spots and dies. I have tried lemon dishsoap(alone and with a little ammonia), revive, bug b gone max, scotts fungus stuff, fertlizer, grub x, ortho total kill lawn and garden insecticide and ironite. I have even tried mustang insecticide from a chemical company, the active ingredients read...S-Canyo (3-phenoxyphenyl) mythel +/- cis/trans 3- (2,2-dichloroethenyl)- 2,2 dimethylcycloprpane carboxylate....17%.
Everthing I mentioned seems to work at first but within a week or two the spots are back. I water 30 min to an hour each spot three times a week and my lawn looks like I never water. My neighbor waters twice as much as I do and has the same spots so I don't think water is the issue. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Answer: It sounds to me as though you've done everything humanly possible to have a healthy lawn. Because I can't personally inspect the lawn, I can suggest the next best thing: take a sample of the problem into your local cooperative extension office. Helpful folks there can diagnose the problem first hand and make treatment recommendations. Judging by your zip code, I think you are in Adams County. If so, here's the contact information: Colorado State University, Adams County Cooperative Extension, 9755 Henderson Road, Brighton, 80601-8114 (303) 637-8100

Best wishes with your lawn.