The Q&A Archives: Banana Plants

Question: I have two ornamental banana plants that have the red leafs. This winter the temperatures dropped and the leafs burned. The trunk is full of water but no new growth has come in. People tell me to cut the trunk at ground level to see if they will come back. Should I just give it up and replant new ones? or Do you think the trees will come back if I cut the trunk to ground level? Please advise,

Answer: I agree - cut the plants down to ground level. If the roots survived the cold snap, new growth will sprout from them. If you leave the dead stumps there and water fills the top, it will rot the plant and the roots. Cut your red banana plants down before this happens. I hope they resprout from the roots for you.

Best wishes with your garden!