The Q&A Archives: vegetables

Question: I have beautiful yellow squash plants, I have gotten two squash off of them and I do not understand why they are not putting out more squash. There seems to be more male blooms than there are females. Could you please help me with this matter.

Answer: It's true - squash plants produce both male and female flowers and only the females will produce fruit. Male flowers have thin, straight stems directly behind the flower petals; female flowers have a slight swelling. This is the potential fruit. As the season progresses and the weather gets warmer, your plants will produce more female flowers. There's really nothing you can do to encourage more female flowers on your plants; it's genetic. You can encourage more bees to visit your garden by having lots of flowers in bloom and by limiting the amount of insecticides you use(lack of fruit can sometimes be a result of poor pollination).

Best wishes with your squash!