The Q&A Archives: Crape Myrtles

Question: I have several large crape myrtles that are shedding and have not started blooming yet is this normal for June in San Antonio?

Answer: Karon,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Crape myrtles should be blooming by June for sure. When a crape isn't blooming it is usually due to a lack of sunlight or perhaps pruning in late spring to remove the termial parts of shoots where blooms can occur. Your crape may be just running late this season for some reason but I don't know of anything you can do to make one start blooming except adequate care and time.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"