The Q&A Archives: Patio Garden

Question: Looking for recommendations on good patio type tomato plants that I can place in pots instead of abusing them by putting them directly into this clay-dirt of northern Texas. what type of special care will they require?

Answer: You can grow any type of tomato you want in a container as long as it is big enough. I highly recommend growing tomatoes in half whiskey barrels. I get better results doing that than when I plant them in the ground. Half whiskey barrels are large enough to comfortably accomodate even an indeterminate variety (with room for a tomato cage). If you would like a smaller scale, you could grow the cherry tomato variety 'Tumbler' from Burpee (1-800-888-11447) in a hanging basket. The only real "special care" containerized plants need is good watering practices (containers dry out easily), fertilize appropriately (your plants are in a closed system and rely on you for nutrition), and provide good soil (same reason, enhance potting mixes withorganic matter like compost, composted cow manure, leaf mould, etc.).