The Q&A Archives: flies eating my rose bush

Question: I have a rose bush (not large roses, but smaller ones). I have flies that are eating holes in the leaves- they aren't beetles - we had them last year, but they look like little flies. What type if spray can I use to control them so my bush isn't destroyed?

Answer: Based on your description, the holes may be due to leafcutter bees. These do not threaten the plant so they are not usually controlled. You might also want to consult with your local Penn State county extension to obtain a more specific identification of the problem. Based on knowing that, you can determine how to proceed. If a chemical control is needed, they will have the most up to date recommendations on what to use and how/when is best to use it to maximize results. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you long distance.