The Q&A Archives: I want to transplant a coffee tree

Question: I want to transplant a coffee tree. They also call it a money tree. I moved to Virginia 3 years ago from N.H. if the tree is hollow you can get alot of money for it. There were two stocks off the root. I cut the stocks and put them in water but the leaves are not up now so do I just plant it in the ground? I thought to put it in water to help grow roots on it first but I don't think that is going to work.

Answer: Here's what I know Pachira is very often called Money Tree and is one of the feng-shui plants. It is supposed to be the plant that will bring good luck and money into your home. It?s natural habitat are the wetlands in Central America (Mexico to Brazil).

Their height ranges from the size of bonsais up to 6 feet. Their appearance is characteristic as their trunks are large and usually braided together (usually 3 or 5 trunks together). Their leaves resemble the shape of a human hand with five fingers / leaves.

The rationale in braiding the trunks is also based on the feng shui theory. The leaves will bring in the money and the braided trunks will act as a cage where money get trapped into their home. The same theory also calls for red, gold or silver ribbons to be tied on the plants. Also, mainly in other countries, people place coins on the trunks aiming to enhance the plant?s qualities.

Pachira does not have special requirements and it is a hardy plant that will adapt well to different conditions. Take care of your pachira like any other indoor houseplant.

Growing pachiras is very easy. Although its natural habitat is sunny wetlands, it will quickly adapt to less light and less water. You don?t have to water very often, but don?t let the soil go totally dry.

Pachira needs plenty of light, however avoid direct sunlight during the hot months of the year because its leaves may get sunburned. Increase humidity by spraying the plant with water once a week or place the pot on top of a wet pebble tray.

It?s soil should be light and should contain some sand to ensure adequate drainage. Do not let the pot sit on water and always empty excess water from the pot tray.

You can trim its leaves if they get too big for your taste or even if you want to control or change the shape of the plant. New leaves will appear in only a few days time. Even leaves who turn yellow and fall off will be quickly replaced by new beautiful leaves.

You could propagate pachiras from cuttings/side shoots. Often you will notice new shoots coming out of the trunks. Carefully remove these shoots and transplant it. It will take some time but if you are lucky it will root and you will be blessed with another pachira plant.

Add a pachira plant into your home or your office. It will provide some tropical beauty and if feng-shui is right, it will bring you good luck and money.