The Q&A Archives: Hanging Basket

Question: I received a hanging basket - the only tag said #14 COCO / Cromwell Growers, Inc. Do the dead flowers have to be pinched off and how much water does it require? Also, how do I care for a hanging bleeding heart plant?

Answer: The tag simply describes the fact that it is a 14" coco lined basket. There's no way to know what varieties of annuals or perennials are in there. I would err on the positive side and deadhead all of the plants. In most cases, the more you pinch off spent flowers, the more flowers will be produced. Check the basket at least once a day and water when the top of the soil seems dry and the basket feels light. If possible, unhang the basket and immerse it in a large container of water. This will saturate the coco as well as the potting soil.

Bleeding hearts don't need any regular maintenance; they drop their flowers when they're spent and they are self-branching so pinching or pruning is not require. Give it shade and moist soil and it should be happy.

Best wishes with your garden!