The Q&A Archives: Grass & Fruit trees

Question: My husband and I have spread out seed with some fertilizer several weeks ago, and nothing is seeming to do anything but our water bill. Any suggestions?
We have three fruit trees and have been at our home for 1 year now, and nothing has grown. Suggestions?

Answer: It's pretty difficult to start a new lawn when temperatures are 110 degrees. The grass seeds just won't germinate. In the Phoenix area, bermuda is the grass of choice, overseeded with rye for the cooler months. The reason behind this is that bermuda thrives in the heat but begins to brown out when temperatures drop below 70F. Ryegrass, on the other hand, is a cool season grass, and hits its peak October through March when temperatures are cooler. So seeding now is futile. Wait until October and reseed with ryegrass. The seeds will germinate in 7-10 days.

Citrus trees take about a year to become established in a new landscape and then they begin growing. You should see some growth later this summer and some flowers in late fall and early winter. All they need is a little patience and regular applications of water.

Best wishes with your landscape!