The Q&A Archives: When to cut/prune trees/shrubs???

Question: I have crepe myrtles that I would like to keep at 5 1/2 to 6' tall and would like to know when is the best time to cut them back? Also I have dogwoods and redbuds and would like to know the best time to cut back. My husband has been sick and we cannot afford a yard man at this time, I love yard work and am not afraid to do it myself, but I also don't want to mess them up. They are beautiful when taken care of, PLEASE HELP !!

Answer: Rebecca,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The best time to prune your woody ornamental plants is in late winter prior to the onse of spring growth. Keep in mind that dogwoods and redbuds need very little if any pruning at all. If your crape myrtle is a large variety it will be very difficult and disfiguring to try and keep it that small. It is best to select a small to medium size variety that will naturally reach something close to your desired plant size.