The Q&A Archives: Yard

Question: Hey,
How often should you fertilize your yard? When is the best time and how do I pick out a good product that is environmentally friendly?

Answer: Nancy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your lawn can be fertilized in spring after the second mowing. That way the grass will be actively growing and able to take up the nutrients. Apply no more than 1 pound of nitrogen per 1000 square feet. Divide 100 by the first number on the fertilizer bag to get the pounds of product it takes to get 1 pound of nitrogen. The next time to fertilize is summer although with recycling your clippings this will most likely not be necessary. The last fertilization is in mid fall to prepare the turf for winter. The same rate applies here.

Always water the fertilizer in with 1/2 inch of irrigation after you apply it. Sweep fertilizer off of sidewalks and driveways and back onto the turf to avoid damaging creeks and rivers. Products that are slow release and natural products are better for the environment but the most important thing is to apply in the correct amounts and not to misapply to hard surfaces where it is more likely to wash away.