The Q&A Archives: Why will my grape vines not produce fruit?

Question: We have just moved into a house that has grapevines climbing along a chain link fence. The previous owner tells me they never have produced fruit. They have been climbing the fence for over 3 years.

This year in early spring small clusters of grapes formed, then the clusters turned into a fussy area that blew away with the wind. The leaves are very healthy looking. What do I need to do to get a nice fruit crop next year?

Answer: Only two possible answers - not enough sunshine or the wrong type of grape for your growing region. Grapes need a specific amount of degree days (days of temperatures over a certain minimum). Different varieties have different heat requirements. You may be growing a type with requirements that your climate cannot provide. If you really want grapes, you may need to purchase cultivars bred for your growing region. Try Himrod, Vanessa, Reliance or Venus.