The Q&A Archives: Manure Tea in Small Batches

Question: I am planning on using several small flower beds and container gardening. I have heard that you can make smaller doses of manure tea straining them thru pantyhose. I have obtained some manure from a friend that was gathered from the pasture, after it hasdried naturally. Not sure how long. How should I prepare this into the tea using pantyhose as strainer?

Answer: First, fill both legs of the pantyhose so you have about one foot of filled length, and steep this in a 5-gallon bucket filled with water for about a week. You can place a couple of pairs in the same bucket for a stronger batch. Either use it full strength once in a while, or dilute it and use it every time you water your flower beds. <br><br>Because the nutrient levels in manure vary widely, the tea may not supply all your plants need. At any rate, you may want to moisten any extra manure and mix it with the soil in the beds to increase organic matter, which improves the soil. Do the same with the manure in the "bags" when the tea is finished.