The Q&A Archives: Voles!

Question: I have been fighting voles since I moved to my current home. I have used caster oil products with some success (I am not vole free but have somewhat less problems). They seem to attack in waves. I suspect that that is due to new litters being born, but that is just a guess. My problem with the caster oil products is that it is somewhat expensive (can't find at Home Depot by the way) and requires frequent applications. I have also put some

Answer: There are only two ways to control voles: mousetraps baited with apple slices or commercially available rodenticides (anti-coagulants). Hand placement of baits directly in runways and burrow openings within the tree drip line is more effective for pine vole control since their activities are largely confined to their subterranean burrows. Since pine voles cache food and meadow voles do not, pine
voles can be more susceptible to bait that require repeated intake, such as anticoagulants. The two voles' food preferences also affect their control. Meadow voles will feed on dry baits such as corn and oats, whereas pine voles prefer fleshy baits such as apples.

Wish there were a more pleasant way to eliminate the voles!