The Q&A Archives: Trumpetvine (Campsis) Diseases

Question: I have a trumpetvine that has been growning and blooming very aggressively for years. This spring was no expection until a few weeks ago when the leaves and blooms feel off. If is still alive but mostly without leaves and blooms. The only thing different this spring is we have had a lot of rain and the number of honey bees on the blooms was much larger than normal. Any ideas as to why the leaves and blooms fell off? It usually blooms right through the summer.

Answer: David,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your trumpet vine may have suffered from soggy, poorly drained, soil conditions. This excludes oxygen from the roots and they begin to die. The shock can result in wilting and leaf drop on the above ground portions of the plant. If the duration and severity of the problem was not too great the plant should recover and be fine.