The Q&A Archives: Cucumbers

Question: Something keeps eating my cucumber leaves. I put Sevin on the leaves, put out a bowl of beer for the slugs, put a fence and then a cardboard barrier around the plants but the leaves are still rapidly disappearing - and this is my THIRD try. Please help. Thank you.

Answer: Do you have squirrels, bunnies or raccoons in your neighborhood? They have been know to munch on plant leaves. Try encircling your plant with a 3' high cylinder of chicken wire (attached to stakes to make it sturdy, and firmly anchor it to the ground). Be sure to top the cylinder off with chicken wire, too. If it's 4-legged critters eating the leaves, this will stop them.

Try Sluggo slug bait around the plant to take care of slugs. I'd suggest not using Sevin - it kills bees and we need bees for pollination.

Best wishes with your cucumbers.