The Q&A Archives: bouganvillea

Question: I have tried to plant about 3 bouganvilleas from your store and they keep dying. Can you give me plantiing and care directions for bouganvilleas in Arizona?

Answer: You might try amending the soil prior to planting your new bougainvillea. While they are drought tolerant once established, organic matter in the soil will help it retain moisture and therefore encourage a deep root system. Bougainvilleas sometimes sulk when they are transplanted because they don't appreciate their roots being disturbed. Take care in transplanting the new one; water deeply once it is installed in the landscape and then be sure to water it well once or twice a week during the growing season. Hope you have better luck with your new bougainvillea!