The Q&A Archives: weeds

Question: can you please tell me what i can use to kill bamboo my backyard is loaded with it and the quicker i cut it down the faster it comes back

Answer: Some of the running bamboos are invasive. The best approaches are to knock over the culms beginning in the early spring as they just begin to grow, paint the broken ends with an herbicide containing glyphosate, and install a root barrier to prevent the rhizomes from spreading.

In your area, most bamboos would not be winter hardy. This leads me to wonder if what you have might be Japanese knotweed -- a noxious invasive weed that is bamboo-like and also very difficult to control. If this is the case, you may find the following information helpful.

Your local Cornell county extension should be able to help you identify the plant with certainty and may also have control recommendations.