The Q&A Archives: My 3 year old wisteria died. Why?

Question: I have built a pergola and I planted a wisteria next to one of the poles 3 years ago. This summer it covered the pergola and then all of a sudden all the leaves turned yellow and brown and fell off. I have no idea what has caused this...nothing done to the new fertilizers...conditions have not fact the wisteria made it through Katrina!!!!I grieve for this beautiful plant but want to plant another. I have never heard of this plant fact most people try to control it. Do you have any advice? Many thanks

Answer: Erin,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The wisteria problem is very strange. Some possibilities include a soil root rot. These are usually brought on by soggy soil conditions although not always. Over saturated soil can exclude oxygen from roots and result in death of many types of plants. If the entire plant died that suddenly it is likely a root related issue of some sort. When you dig it up see if there is a nursery tag or encircling root or some twine or similar material strangling the trunk just below the ground level.