The Q&A Archives: Instuctions on water garden in planter

Question: On one of the fliers it had a picture of a solar water garden, fountain, in a planter. The pot was bright green on it's pictured every where but no one seems to know the how tos, could you please help!!!
Thank you!

Answer: Unfortunately I have not seen the photo you are referring to. But, in general, a water garden in a container would consist of a water-proof container (larger size is better) located in a spot with midday shade (to help the water stay cooler in mid summer). Use some underwater oxygenating plants to help keep the water clear and keep it oxygenated and healthy for your fish. Then add a bog or marginal plant such as a miniature cattail or papyrus. Then add a surface covering, very small variety of waterlily such as "Helvola" or "Tetragona" or one water hyacinth plant to shade the water and help keep it cool. Last, add one small goldfish or add a mosquito dunk or "donut" containing Bt to control mosquitoes. I hope this helps you get started.