The Q&A Archives: Coral Bark Maple

Question: I have a Coral Bark Maple planted in a container. Last year, I thought it was dead with the leaves turning yellow then brown but this Spring it sprouted green, green leaves & seemed to be doing great but now is doing the same thing again. I took it out of the wind & all day sun since I heard this wasn't good & even re-potted it last year. Any suggestions?

Answer: Coral bark maples prefer morning sun and afternoon shade with moist but not soggy soil. It's important that the soil drain quickly or it will deplete the oxygen that the roots need. Don't feed your plant until it recovers; consistent moisture and shade in the afternoons should encourage it to leaf out again. When it does, you can feed it with a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer to give it a boost.

Hope it performs better for you!