The Q&A Archives: Weeds

Question: I have had the same weeds growing in my yard for years. I can not get rid of then for nothing. I don't know what kind they are but they grow in with the grass and weave through it smothering the grass. It is green and makes oval seeds that if you pull it up the seeds drop and it is a endless battle. The weed killer do nothing to this monster. I do know that the first cold weather that comes through kills it for the year, but that is like November here. Can you help on the little info I gave you.
Peggy Raybon

Answer: Peggy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I think you may be talking about Virginia Buttonweed. The following web sites gives a photo:

I suggest you take a sample to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the weed and if necessary prescribe an appropriate remedy. Their contact info is:

Texas Cooperative Extension
3033 Bear Creek Drive
Houston, Texas 77084
Phone: 281-855-5600
Ask a Master Gardener:
Phone: (281) 855-5600