The Q&A Archives: tiny bettles

Question: i have some very tiny, very colorful beetles chewing on my ivy leaves, one is a candy striped and one is a bright GOLD, could you tell me what these are and how i can get rid of them without hurting my plants? thank you

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain which beetle(s) these are and I am not certain if the plant they are on is Hedera helix (English ivy) or Parthenocissus (includes Boston ivy, Virginia creeper). Beetles can usually be controlled with carbaryl (ingredient in Sevin), however this chemical is damaging to Parthenocissus and should not be used on that plant. For this reason, I would suggest you consult with your local Cornell county extension to obtain a more specific identification of the pest. Based on knowing that and the plant, they should be able to recommend a control. If a chemical control is needed,they will have the most up to date recommendation on what to use and how/when is best to apply it for maximum results. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful long distance.