The Q&A Archives: red and black bugs

Question: This year I have an abundance of some sort of insect which are eating some of my plants. The bug does not fly, it's a reddish color thorax with sort of a black 'jacket' on the foward part of it.. They hatch as tiny things, the size of a piece of rice, but have now grown to be around 1/2 or more long. Not only are they in my garden but are also in the grass. What could they be and how do I get rid of them? They are seemingly starting to take over.

Answer: Identifying an insect without being able to examine it is virtually impossible. There are so many with similar appearance. But, all is not lost. Capture several of the critters in a sealable plastic bag and take them to your local Cooperative Extension office, Master Gardener Clinic, or well-staffed nursery. Helpful folks can identify the insects for you and suggest some control measures.

Best wishes with your garden!