The Q&A Archives: plants/trees

Question: I live in the high desert and would like to know what type of plants/flowers/trees do well in the desert? can you possibly give me a list... thanks for any help you can give me.

Answer: There are a number of well-behaved annuals and perennials that will perform in your gardening zone. Each of the following plants can withstand arid conditions, but will do even better if given ample moisture during the spring and summer months: Coreopsis, Desert Spoon, Gaillardia, Red-Hot-Poker, Liatris (Gayfeather), Oenothera (Evening Primrose), Russian Sage, Zinnia, Watsonia, Salvia, and any or all of the Sedums (Stonecrop).

For an extensive list of shrubs and trees, here's a website I think is quite valuable:

The site is sponsored by the Victorville Water District and provides both plant descriptions and photos to help you decide just what you'd like to plant in your new yard. Enjoy your new landscape!