The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus cutting

Question: A friend of mine brought back a Hibiscus cutting as a gift to me while on her vacation in Hawaii. It looks like a stick with a couple of tiny, green leaves sticking out of the sides. It came with no directions. How do I plant it? Do I bury the whole thing? What type of soil do they prefer?

Answer: Plant the cutting in moist potting soil so the leaves are growing in an upwards direction from the stem. It should root without problem. Hibiscus will be an indoor or greenhouse plant in your region of the country. Treat it to average household temperatures (minimum 50F degrees in the winter), and give it as much light as possible without putting it in direct sunlight. The planting medium should be kept moist during the growing season, but cut back on watering in the winter. The plant likes humidity, so mist the leaves every few days. Remember that it's a tropical plant and try to keep it out of cold drafts. It will take a couple of years before your cutting matures into a blooming plant.