The Q&A Archives: Butterfly Houses

Question: Where can I find/purchase a butterfly house? I am interested in attracting them to my garden but have no idea where to get one? Or are there any instructions to build your own?

Answer: Butterfly houses are used as a temporary cage to observe butterflies in their life cycle stages. Here are plans on how to make one.

To attract butterflies to your garden you need to provide flowers for nectar as well as larval food sources. You also have to garden without harmful chemicals.

Some butterfly plants to consider would include the butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii), along with annuals such as zinnia, verbena and cosmos and perennials such as butterfly weed (Asclepias), purple coneflower(Echinacea purpurea), Nepeta, Sedum, and Asters.

Enjoy your butterflies!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"