The Q&A Archives: Ornamental grass

Question: My dwarf fountain grasses are usually lush and full by this time of year. This year there is very little growth coming from them. I cut them down to about 6 inches in the fall which I always do. Do you have any suggestions.
Thank you

Answer: The ornamental grasses, like lawn grass, need ample water and fertilizer to grow their best. Deep supplemental watering during dry spells can be helpful, as can a slow release fertilizer such as 10-10-10 applied in the spring, along with a top dressing of good quality compost.

You may also find that after a few years they need to be divided. If this is the case, they will be growing in a sort of donut pattern with a bare or thin center and most of the current growth around the perimeter. (The time to divide is in the early spring.)

I hope this helps you trouble shoot.