The Q&A Archives: From one Climate to another

Question: I have lived in Florida for many years and I am moving to Covington, Georgia. I have 4 beautifaul ficus tress in pots and have never been planted in the ground. All are approx. 7' tall. First, will they survive in Georgia? Second, do I have to do anything special (other than the usual) in the winter? I cover them when there is a threat of frost and water them real well. I know I will be dealing with snow in GA.

Thank you for your help. I also have roses and tropical plants.

Answer: Debbie,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Ficus won't survive outdoors in your new Georgia location. You would need to move them into a protected house or garage when cold weather arrives. That area would also need to have a lot of light or they will defoliate quite a bit after the move.