The Q&A Archives: Hoya

Question: I have rooted a hoya plant that is very dear to me because it is a cutting from a plant that belonged to my grandmother for many, many years. however, i am having trouble learning about how to pot the plant (what materials to purchase to pot it in). It will be indoors.

Answer: Hoya has a relatively large root system for the size of the plant so choose a pot that's relatively deep and fill it with regular potting soil. (A pot with a 6" diameter is good for a start; you'll transplant it into a larger pot as it grows.) Good drainage is important so make sure the pot has adequate drainage holes on the bottom. You can use a terra cotta pot, plastic pot with saucer or even a decorative ceramic pot. The material doesn't matter as much as the drainage. Moisten the potting soil (I use Miracle-Gro) and place it in the pot, leaving a 1-2" space to the rim. Then use a pencil to make a hole large enough to accommodate the roots your hoya has grown, set the plant in the hole so that the roots plus a half-inch of stem is buried in the potting soil, then gently fill in around the stem. Water completely after planting to help settle the soil.

Your hoya should be happy in its new home.

Best wishes with your plant!