The Q&A Archives: Earwigs a kaszillion!

Question: This year the earwigs are just nutzoid here.Eating marigolds,petunias,beans,everything and stripping leaves to the bone.I can't tell if my leaf bone is connected to my stem bone,and my stem bone connected to my fruit bone,help! Thanks,Rodger

Answer: Earwigs usually feed on decaying organic matter in the soil rather than bother plants, but if you have a population explosion then you may want to try to control them.

You can trap them using dampened cardboard tubes or rolls of damp newspaper baited with dry oatmeal or cornmeal and set out in the garden at night, the earwigs should hide there by morning. In the morning, empty the tube by shaking the earwigs into soapy water (or burn the tube.) They will also hide under sheets of cardboard or boards laid out in the garden.

Since it sounds like they are affecting a larger area, you can also treat the area around your plants with diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the soil surface. I hope this helps.