The Q&A Archives: Planting Grass

Question: I use to have the garden beds around the perimeter of my patio. I recently changed my garden beds to only two sides of the patio. I left one side of the patio open and I would like to plant grass there. Since it's June, is it too late to plant grass?

Answer: It really depends upon the type of grass you want to plant. Some grow best in cool weather, others like it hot. For instance, you can get Kentucky Bluegrass seeds to germinate in summer, but creeping fescues might be a little reluctant.

If you decide to use Kentucky Bluegrass, broadcast your seed and cover it with a light layer of peatmoss or compost to help keep the seedbed moist. Water as often as necessary (up to several times a day) to keep the seedbed moist and the seeds should germinate in 7-10 days.

Best wishes with your lawn!