The Q&A Archives: Watering Guide

Question: I just had a sprinkler system installed for my rose bushes and 3 fruit trees. How many minutes should they be watered each time ? And with degrees up to 100 in the summertime, should it be every day? I'm having them go on at 5:30am (3 fruit trees are peach, page mand orange, and figi apple

Answer: Wish there were a hard and fast rule, but the answer really depends upon your soil type and the size of emitters you have on your drip system. In general terms, a 1-year-old tree usually requires 1 gallon of water per day. If the soil is sandy and the temperature, wind, and sunlight intensity are high, the tree could use 2 gallons per day during these periods.

Excessive watering with any irrigation system can occur if the soil has a high clay content or does not drain well. Overirrigation can cause as many problems with growth as does drought.

A 2-year-old tree usually needs about 2 gallons per day and a 3-year-old tree as much as 4 gallons per day.

Your rose bushes like moist soil and are heavy feeders. I'd put them on the same watering schedule as the fruit trees.