The Q&A Archives: pruning rhododendrum

Question: How do I prune the Rhododendrum without killing the plant? Where and how do I prune Them?
Thank you

Answer: Rhododendrons do not require much routine pruning at all. You can remove or tidy broken branches as soon as they happen. Some gardeners will deadhead or remove faded flowers each spring. If you do need to prune, the best time is in late winter, but that removes flowering for the coming spring. You can also prune right after it blooms. Remove individual branches by reaching deep into the plant. Do not remove more than about 10 to 20% of the plant in one year. If you have a rhododendron that is far too large for its location, you might consider replacing it with a smaller maturing variety. I hope this helps.