The Q&A Archives: Okame Cherry Tree

Question: I have three Okame Flowering Cherry trees. They are starting to get black spots and some of the leaves are turning brown. The tree looks like it needs water which I know it gets enough. What do I need to go. They were planted this year.

Answer: Bill,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Not enough water will harm a tree but so will too much as excessive moisture drives oxygen out of the soil and roots need it to survive. Dig down a few inches to feel the soil and assess what the moisture content is then adjust watering accordingly. Your tree may be suffering from a foliar disease. Take some samples to your County Extension Office and see if they can identify the problem and if necessary prescribe an appropriate remedy.