The Q&A Archives: How can I get rid of Green Onions?

Question: When I purchased my home the previous occupant planted green onions. The house was left unoccupied for a few years and then sold. Now I have green onions all over the backyard and migrating to my front yard. How do I get rid of them? What can I use that is safe for my dogs as well?

Answer: Onion (Allium amplectens) is difficult to eradicate because even if the tops are killed back, stored energy from the bulb allows new foliage to emerge. Herbicides available to homeowners are ineffective against onion, so the only sure way of getting rid of the weedy plant is to dig it up, bulb and all. It might be possible to starve the roots out if you consistently hoe down any new foliage just as it sprouts. Best wishes with your project!