The Q&A Archives: Landscaping in Florida,and growing vegetables.

Question: I'm just starting to plan some landscaping in my front and back yard. I have purchased my plants, palm tree, flowers and bushes from Home Depot. However NOT according to your TV commercials there was'nt anyone to ask any questions. There was a cashier and one other person that could'nt answer one question.
I planted a Bottle Palm in the front, shaped the ground into a bordered kidney shape with the Palm in the middle. I would like to plant low flowers around it that can stand our hot Florida summers and weather.

Answer: Susan,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

There are a number of flowers that can take your weather and it really comes down to what you like the look of. Here are a few good ones to consider planting around that bed with the bottle palm:
Blanket flower (Gaillardia pulchella)
Portulaca (Rose moss)
Vinca or Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus)
Yellow Bells (Tecoma stans)