The Q&A Archives: bee tree

Question: We have a tree that blums a pink flower that the bees just swarm over. Don't want to kill tree, but would like to get rid of the flower, especially due to the African bees in our area. We are in close quarters with that tree every day. How to get rid of the flower? Thanks

Answer: J.R.,

I apologize for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I don't know of a way to make the flowers go away. You may need to either get rid of the tree or adapt to the bee's presence. The fact that its blooms attract bees doesn't necessarily mean that bees will try to build a hive on your property. Bees generally sting when protecting their hive and when visiting flowers are not that aggressive.