The Q&A Archives: Basil Care

Question: I transplanted a basil plant into my garden a month ago and it hasn't really grown. It is just growing flowers and it seems that it is kind of drying up. There are some leaves that are turning yellow. I mixed organic miracle grow potting soil with the native dirt and mulched it as well. It is in full sun. Is there anything else that I need to do? Please Advise,

Answer: Your plant will grow if you pinch out the flowers and the tips of the stems. This will encourage branching out. You?ll want to prevent your basil from blooming for as long as possible, by harvesting or pinching off the top sets of leaves as soon as the plant reaches about 6" in height. If the plant sets flowers, it is on its way to going to seed and will not be bushing out with leaves. Once a basil plant goes to seed, the existing leaves lessen in flavor.