The Q&A Archives: mandevilla plant

Question: Hi,

How should I take care of my Mandevilla during winter months (hardiness Zone 5)? Should I cut it back and keep in a basement? Or let it grow indoor? Is it a way to winterize this plant?

Thank you,

Answer: Mandevilla is a tender plant that survives outdoors only in the mildest climates. Since yours is in a container, you need only to bring it indoors when your weather begins to cool down. The best place to keep it indoors is in a sunny window. Mandevilla can be pruned down to about 3' without harm, but wait until it has acclimated to growing indoors before pruning it back. To help it become adjusted to living indoors, take it inside during the night and take it back outdoors during the day. Do this for about a week, leaving it inside for longer and longer periods of time. Wait a few weeks and then prune it down to a more manageable size. Mandevilla can grow to 12' as a vine, but it can be kept at about 3' with constant pinching and pruning. Since you'll be wintering your plant over each year, you'll probably want to keep it small. Under the right conditions of heat and light your Mandevilla will bloom indoors for you. Enjoy!