The Q&A Archives: Strawberries

Question: I bought the strawberry roots at home depot and planted them in a container approximately 2 months ago. I understand that the strawberries will not bear fruit this year, but, there has been absoluty no growth as of yet. I was worried about all the weeds that seemed to be growing in the pot, so I dumped it out the pot and fished the roots out,loosened the soil, and replanted them with peat moss and new soil. I think my partner may have used soil from our yard. The roots looked balck to me, are they dead?

Answer: Unfortunately, if the strawberry plants have not leafed out, and if the roots are black, then they are probably dead. Always use a good quality potting mix formulated for container growing when you pot up plants -- never use garden soil. Garden soil is usually too heavy in texture and will contain weed seeds as well as sometimes carry disease or pests that will thrive in the container. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.